Chibundiro’s Katlesi Recipe
1. Boil the minced-meat for filling, when cooked add Chibundiro natural spice mix.
2. Peel and boil potatoes, then mash them whilst still hot; midway through mashing then add the ingredients below:
• Salt to taste
• Chili powder (you can add, reduce or omit this according to taste)
• Juice of 2 lemons (again add or reduce according to taste)
1. 1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp water.
2. 2-3 tbsp. gram flour
3. Oil for frying
1. Take a hand full of the mashed potatoes. Shape it into a flat round, about ¼ inch to ½ inch thickness and about the size of your palm
2. Now take generous spoonful of your Chibundiro mincemeat filling; put it in the center of the round in your hand, fold the ends together to fill any open end smooth it out into a ball.
3. When ready to fry, beat an egg with 1 tsp of water and a pinch of salt
4. Take your tray of cut lets and sprinkle some gram flour all over them, turn then over and sprinkle gram flour on the other side too.
5. Heat a frying pan with some oil. These are normally shallow fried. Dip each champ in the beaten egg, turning it over to make sure it’s well covered in egg.(alternatively you can coat them with bread cramps at this stage)
6. Then carefully put it in your oil. Reduce the heat to medium and using a spoon scoop some hot oil from the sides of the pan and splash it gently over the top of the cutlet to seal the top.
7. Remove once both sides are beautiful and golden, then blot on tissues to absorb any excess oil.
8. Serve and enjoy with lemon wedges or chutney.
Enjoy your delicious katlesi with Chibundiro’s Nature’s best!